Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Book Review: Slated by Teri Terry

Title: Slated (Slated #1)
Author: Teri Terry
Publisher: Orchad Books

Kyla’s memory has been erased,
her personality wiped blank,
her memories lost for ever.

She’s been Slated.

The government claims she was a terrorist, and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla’s mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth?



This book is perhaps the one of the best books I have read/will read this year.

I've probably read way too many dystopians by now, and I can finally say I can differentiate between a good one and a bad one. If you have seen my reviews and ratings, you'd probably notice that I've given all of the dystopian books I've read either a 4 or a 5 star rating. You might wonder why, that's because I find dystopia extremely interesting and I'm deeply captivated into the stories.

However, this is not the case with Teri Terry's Slated. Slated exceeds expectations, pushes the limits, and is not afraid to take risks.

This book isn't a small book. It's almost 450 pages. Did that stop me from reading it quickly? No, in fact, I was reading in a super fast speed I was shocked with myself.

I was intrigued by the concept of this book. I found it exceptionally unique. This book is about a world where terrorists are not prisoned, are not punished. Instead, these terrorists are given a second chance by having their memories erased. They will have a new life, new parent, new everything. This process is called Slating. Now, Slating isn't something perfect. It has its consequences. Whoever is Slated is controlled by something called a Levo. This devices makes sure you're not too happy nor too angry. If you are, you will die.

Now that sounds really great, doesn't it?

I also loved this book for Teri Terry's writing style. This is her debut novel, and wow. She manages to keep you turning pages without you realizing. You wanna know more, and more, and MORE!

The characters are very interesting. I didn't find Kyla to be an annoying female character. She has bigger problems and things to worry about other than falling in love with a boy. Yes, there is a romance, but it is very subtle, and isn't the main part of the plot.

I think that Slated is a very unique book. The story is very realistic. When you read it, yout think: "This really sounds realistic. What if it REALLY happens in the future?"

This book sends shivers down your spine. Teri Terry has created a very realistic world. This book is not only a tale. It conveys many themes and important messages. It shows how horrific societies can be and clearly shows some real-life problems.

Teri Terry has managed to write a book that will capture the interests of many different readers and has the potential to be one of the most recognized books one day.

I cannot wait to read Fractured, the sequel to this book, which comes out in early 2013.


3 comments:

  1. Wonderful review! I have honestly heard nothing but good about this novel. It sounds insanely fantastic. I'm really glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I entirely agree with you! I reviewed this one recently, and interviewed Teri on my blog (there is also an international giveaway going on until the end of July). You can check it out HERE.

    Great review, again! :) Well done.

    Dani

    ReplyDelete