Saturday, February 16, 2013

Book Review: Oblivion by Anthony Horowitz

Title: Oblivion (The Power of Five #5)
Author: Anthony Horowitz
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought



Having escaped from Hong Kong, the five gatekeepers - Matt, Pedro, Scott, Jamie and Scarlett - are scattered in a hostile and dangerous world. As they struggle to re-group and plan their next move, the malevolent King of the Old Ones gathers his forces in Oblivion: a desolate landscape where the last survivors of humanity must fight the ultimate battle.


I've been waiting for four years for this book to be released. With a very painful cliffhanger at the end of the fourth book, Necropolis, I have finally finished reading the conclusion of this wonderful series by Anthony Horowitz. I was quite ecstatic when I finally bought a copy of this book and had it in my hands. A book you've been waiting for a very long time in your hands. I'm sure you know how I had felt that instant.
  
Oblivion starts off exactly where the previous book ended. With the Old Ones in full power, the five have a very long and dangerous journey ahead. 

I was completely sucked into this book from page one. With the introduction of a new character/narrator from page one, I found myself very much reliving the details of the previous books in the series. The world this book (specifically) is set in is very interesting. It actually is realistic because it shows turmoil and destruction as it is in real life. Corruption, poverty, famine, crises everywhere. Horowitz FLAWLESSLY managed to picture this and it stood out for me. You don't always get a realistic world building with everyday issues in a fantasy story.

The book is split into several parts, revolving around the five main characters. Each character had enough time to show his/her significance. As you might expect, I love all the characters. What's remarkable about these five Gatekeepers, Scott, Jamie, Pedro, Matt, and Scarlett is that they all have flows. Even though they are represented as heroes, they're not perfect. Each character could make mistakes at any instant. Each character has a specific adventure to fulfill until they finally all the five get together.

I won't reveal much about this book's ending, but as you probably expect, it is not a happy one. And no, this isn't a spoiler. When I met Anthony Horowitz back in 2008, he said that he likes book endings not to be perfectly happy, but to have have glints of hope. Oblivion has death, lots of death. And most importantly, it has sacrifice. The ending is great, it is well-crafted and unexpectable.

Overall, The Power of Five series has been a long journey. I've been following this series for years, and Anthony Horowitz has managed to give us fans a perfect ending. Something we've been waiting for many years. It has definitely been worth all these years. Finally, give an applause, "'To the Five,' I say." You will know what I am talking about once you finish reading the book. I just had to include that here. This series has been going on for many years, and it feels like Harry Potter all over again. I have cherished and will ALWAYS remember the memories I've had with Anthony Horowitz, the Power of Five series, and the Alex Rider series. A stupendous series to be remembered for a long time and passed on for generations. Thank you Anthony Horowitz for this amazing series for I have had unforgettable memories and great time with these characters.


4 comments:

  1. Aaah, I've read the first 3 books and then I stopped, I don't know why! I have to catch up on the series soon, I really liked it! Great review :)

    Cheers from a new follower!
    Inx from Inklings of two Booklings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thanks for this comment! Really appreciated!

      Delete
  2. Now THIS was an amazing book! I was shocked at who Anthony Horrowitz was willing to kill, and surprised at who the "real hero" was. An end to a great series if you ask me.

    -Eddie (New follower BTW)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your wonderful comment! I really appreciate it as I don't have many visitors on my blog. Really appreciate your follow, and I have to agree with you, I love Anthony's books. They're great!!

      Delete