Saturday, February 16, 2013

Book Review: The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz



London, 1890. 221B Baker St. A fine art dealer named Edmund Carstairs visits Sherlock Holmes and Dr John Watson to beg for their help. He is being menaced by a strange man in a flat cap - a wanted criminal who seems to have followed him all the way from America. In the days that follow, his home is robbed, his family is threatened. And then the first murder takes place.
THE HOUSE OF SILK bring Sherlock Holmes back with all the nuance, pacing, and almost superhuman powers of analysis and deduction that made him the world's greatest detective, in a case depicting events too shocking, too monstrous to ever appear in print....until now.


I haven't read any of the original Sherlock Holmes novels by Sir Arthur Conan Dolye, but I've watched Guy Richie's adaptations and I enjoyed them very much.

I am a very huge fan of Anthony Horowitz, and that was the main reason I picked this book up. Also, lately I haven't been too found of YA books because I find them to be too repetitive, so this was the perfect time to read The House of Silk.

The House of Silk is a new Sherlock Holmes novel, but that doesn't stop you from going back to the 1800s. The vivid descriptions will make you fall in love with the Victorian London setting. The story is narrated through Dr Watson's, Sherlock Holmes's companion, point of view. Anthony Horowitz perfectly makes you visualize what goes through his head. Watson is a very intriguing character. He is not as observant as Holmes, but still, he is nonetheless interesting.

The mystery in this book is always lurking (and of course it should). Each chapter left me more curious. When the questions were answered in the end, I just couldn't help but admire Holmes's intelligence. Everything wrapped up nicely, with few sad events here and there.

The language in The House of Silk, as you might expect, is a little bit heavy. However, it wasn't much of a problem getting through the story. It was a tiny bit of a challenge and made it more interesting overall. Reading shouldn't always be too easy :). I have to add, I didn't have any problem with the language.

Overall, I was engaged throughout this book. With perfectly crafted 400 pages, I was left satisfied with the story that was delivered. I was able to enjoy something very different from my usual read. It was quite a ride, and I will for sure look out to read more adult books, specifically mysteries in the future.

I am sure Anthony Horowitz went through a lot of researching process and tried his best to recreate the world of Sherlock Holmes. His hardwork is evident through every page of this book. With that, I might not be the best judge since I haven't read the original books, but I have to say, kudos to you, Mr Horowitz. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment